How Much do House Cleaning Services Cost?
Discover how Janitorial Service Bids can help you with your cleaning services. Get in touch today and request a quote!
- $0.11 and $0.18 per square foot for regular cleaning
- $0.13 and $0.23 per square foot for deep cleaning
- $0.25 and $0.35 per square foot for a move-out cleaning
Finding the right professionals to clean your house requires knowing what fits your budget. This guide from Janitorial Service Bids explains how much house cleaning services cost, such as:
- House cleaning cost per square foot
- Residential janitorial service prices per room
- House cleaning rates per day, week, month
- Home cleaning costs by popular brands
Residential cleaning services offer regular home cleaning or one-off visits to keep your home looking its best. This means you will have more time to spend doing the things that you really love.
House Cleaning Price Table
|House Size – Square Feet||National Average Cost|
|0–1,000 sq. ft||$120–$155|
|1,001–2,000 sq. ft||$130–$180|
|2,001–4,000 sq. ft||$150–$410|
So how much do home janitorial services cost near you? Well, there are several things that a cleaning company will consider when calculating the cost of cleaning your home. Find out everything you need to know about the cost of hiring house cleaners.
What Do House Cleaning Services Do?
House cleaning services cover a whole range of different types of house cleaning. In their most basic packages, cleaning services will:
- Take care of light cleaning, such as dusting, vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping
- Clean your kitchen’s appliances, hard surfaces, sinks, and cabinets
- Clean your bathroom’s toilets, showers, bathtubs, and mirrors
- Take your bins out and put in new bags
Some more comprehensive services will also do your dishes and make the beds in your home. The cost of the cleaning service will cover these areas in their standard fee.
However, if you want more specific help with cleaning you may have to pay extra. We will take a look at the cost of additional services in just a moment.
What Affects the Cost of Residential Cleaning Services?
The services you want to use can affect the cost of house cleaning services. However, the rate of basic cleaning can vary depending on:
- The size of your home
- How long it takes to thoroughly clean it (and how messy it is, to begin with!)
- The company you choose to hire
For example, cleaning larger homes will take longer than cleaning an apartment.
Cleaning companies tend to charge a little bit more than independent cleaners. However, in exchange for this, they can provide their own licensing and insurance. Larger companies also have more staff on their books, so they shouldn’t have to cancel your cleaning if someone is off sick.
How Do Janitorial Companies Bill House Cleaning Rates?
Most cleaning companies will bill you on a weekly or monthly basis. If you make a package block booking you may have to pay for this up-front. Popular rates and bil
ling plans include:
- By the hour
- By square footage
- By Frequency
- By the cleaning service type
Your bill accounts for the services you have used and the amount of time spent cleaning. It also covers the cost of cleaning products during your home cleaning. Some cleaning services may offer you a cheaper rate if you provide your own cleaning products.
If you have organized a one-off clean then the company will bill you shortly after the job has been finished. A lot of companies charge fees for last-minute cancellations, so it is worth noting their policy on cancellations when you first book.
How Do Janitorial Services Calculate House Cleaning Rates?
Companies will calculate the rate for cleaning your home by looking at:
- The size of your home (including the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, and flights of stairs)
- How many people live in your home
- How long it will take to clean your home
- The number of cleaners you will need
- The type of cleaning supplies needed
- Whether or not you have any pets
Once they have calculated a basic rate, they will adjust this to include the cost of any additional cleaning services that you need.
House Cleaning Rates Per Hour
House cleaning rates usually start from between $27 and $52 per hour for each cleaner. So, if you have one cleaner and they come once a week for four hours, this will cost between $108 and $208 per week. The hourly rate is driven by these items:
- Type of house cleaning performed
- Cleaning Supplies used (organic, etc)
- Frequency of cleaning
Having more cleaners can reduce how long it takes them to clean overall but obviously, this will increase the hourly cost. When asking for a quote from a cleaning company, they will recommend how many cleaners you need. Their recommendation should usually be the most cost-effective way to use their service.
Home Cleaning Prices Per Square Foot
As we’ve already mentioned, larger homes will be more expensive to clean. House cleaning prices per square foot tend to be:
- Cost Between $0.11 and $0.18 per square foot for regular cleaning
- Cost Between $0.13 and $0.23 per square foot for deep cleaning
- Cost Between $0.25 and $0.35 per square foot for a move-out cleaning
If you aren’t sure about the square foot size of your property then you can also use price per room rates to estimate the cost of cleaning your home.
Janitorial Prices Per Room
Most cleaning costs assume that you will have a kitchen, dining area, and lounge to clean. However, the number of bedrooms and bathrooms can affect how much you pay for your cleaning services.
Depending on the type of cleaning you need, it will cost between:
- $65 and $95 to clean a studio apartment
- $75 and $105 to clean a house/apartment with one bedroom one bathroom
- $107 and $147 to clean a house/apartment with two bedrooms and one bathroom
- $120 and $170 to clean a house/apartment with two bedrooms and two bathrooms
- $133 and $203 to clean a house/apartment with three bedrooms and one bathroom
- $158 and $238 to clean a house/apartment with three bedrooms and two bathrooms
- $184 and $304 to clean a house/apartment with four bedrooms and three bathrooms
Bathrooms, in particular, require more cleaning so if you have a lot of these your cleaning will be more expensive.
Additional Specialist Cleaning Services
Basic cleaning, such as dusting, disinfecting, and vacuuming, is covered in most cleaning rates. However, if you need help with more thorough or specific cleaning services, you will need to pay extra for this. Here are some of the costs you can expect to pay for additional cleaning services.
Changing Bed Sheets
If you want your cleaner to change the bedsheets in your home this will usually cost an extra $12 per bed.
Some cleaners will wash and dry your laundry for between $7 and $22 per load. Of course, you also need to factor in whether or not they will be able to get a load of laundry done during their cleaning hours.
Interior window cleaning can cost up to $6 per window, while exterior cleaning costs up to $9 per ground-floor window.
Some cleaning jobs need to be done less frequently but require more work. This is why it costs:
- $22 extra to dust Venitian blinds
- $32 or more to polish wood surfaces
- $27 or more to clean cabinet interiors
Fridge or Oven Cleaning
Fridge cleaning can cost between $14 and $54, while oven cleaning costs between $19 and $39.
It is important to note that these jobs can take longer. So you will have to cover the cost of extra hours worth of cleaning plus the additional fridge or oven cleaning costs.
If you want your cleaner to take care of your home’s baseboards this will cost you at least $36 more.
How Much Does House Cleaning Cost Over a Week, Month, or Year?
The good news about using a cleaning company regularly is that you will get a better rate than you would on a one-time job. So if you think you will use a service a lot then it’s a good idea to make a block booking.
If you are planning to hire one cleaner to clean your home for four hours a week, on average, this will cost you:
- Between $132 and $157 hours per week
- Between $572 and $680 per month
- Between $6,864 and $8,164 each year
Hiring two cleaners will obviously cost more but it won’t immediately double the cost of your cleaning. So this is a good idea if you have a larger home to clean. To hire two cleaners for four hours a week, will cost:
- Between $202 and $252 per week
- Between $875 and $1,092 per month
- Between $10,504 and $13,104 each year
If you are working with a tighter budget then you might want to hire two cleaners for a short period of time. You can ask them to focus on rooms that need cleaning frequently, such as your kitchen and bathrooms.
Who Provides the Best Home Janitorial Services?
With over one million home cleaning services to choose from in America, picking the right one for you can feel overwhelming. To find a great home cleaning service, you should always:
- Check out the services that a company offers
- Read reviews and ask to see references from previous clients
- Make sure that they have insurance
- Ask whether or not they offer guarantees on their work
- Check whether you need to provide cleaning supplies or not
- Discuss their rates before you hire them
Two cleaning services in particular − Merry Maids and Molly Maid − are extremely popular in the US. Let’s take a closer look at what they charge for housecleaning.
How Much Do Marry Maids Charge for House Cleaning?
On average, Merry Maids charges $102 per hour if you want to hire two cleaners. They also have a two-hour minimum hire and a lot of fine print, which is worth reading before you hire them!
However, if you are a new customer you may be able to get an offer for $50 to $100 off your first five cleanings. So make sure you ask about this.
If you want to use one of the Merry Maids cleaning packages, here are their starting prices.
The Budget-Minded Cleaning Package
This starts from $111 and covers cleaning for the kitchen, family room, master bedroom, and one extra room.
The Entertainer’s Dream Cleaning Package
This starts from $141. It covers the cleaning of any area in your home used for entertaining guests, cooking, and dining, as well as restroom cleaning.
The Flex Cleaning Package
This starts from $141 and allows you to alternate between areas of your home that you want cleaning each week. For example, one week might cover the bedrooms and restrooms and the other will cover the kitchen and living room.
The Clean for Show Package
This starts from $176 and covers cleaning for your entire home.
The Sparkle and Shine Package
This starts from $346 and is a one-off deep clean package.
How Much Does Molly Maid Charge for House Cleaning?
Molly Maid is slightly cheaper than Merry Maids, averaging $74 to $98 for two cleaners per hour for a minimum of one hour’s cleaning. They also offer $60 off your first three cleans or $100 off your first ten cleans when you make a block booking.
Molly Maid’s package prices are based more on how long you need a cleaner to work for rather than where they will be working. For example:
- 2 Cleaners for 1 hour starts from $74
- 2 Cleaners for 2.5 hours starts from $152
- 2 Cleaners for 3.5 hours starts from $243
One-time cleaning prices start from $151 for a one-bed apartment or $223 for a three-bed house.
If you have a small home, which will be quicker to clean, using a company like Molly Maid that charges per hour will be cheaper. However, if you have a big home then a per-hour charger will end up costing you much more.
How Can You Save on the Cost of Your Cleaner?
If you are working with a tight budget then there are plenty of things you can do to save to reduce how much you spend on your home’s cleaning. This includes:
- Asking about discounts for block bookings
- Seeing if there are any discounts available for veterans, people with disabilities, or single mothers
- Buying your own cleaning supplies
- Maintaining your home well so that it will be quicker to clean
- Choosing which rooms you want to have cleaner
- Avoiding additional services that cost extra
Keep these tips in mind and you’re sure to find a service that suits your budget!
What do House Cleaners Clean?
House cleaners have a huge list of services offered, and here are a few:
- Bathroom, Shower, Tub, and Sink cleaning
- Carpet cleaning and floor scrubbing
- Appliance cleaning
- Laundry washing and folding
- Bed cleaning and making
- Furniture dusting
- Move out cleaning services
- Pet cleaning
- Baseboard cleaning
Find the Best House Cleaning Services for Your Home Now
As you can see, the cost of hiring house cleaning services depends a lot on the type of cleaning you are looking for and the size of your home.
If you are working with a tighter budget you might want to consider prioritizing which rooms you want to be cleaned or providing your own cleaning products. So keep these tips in mind to reduce your cleaning costs!
Ready to find residential cleaning services for your home? Then start comparing quotes today to find the best possible company for you!